Patient Care and Obesity
Obesity can result from a combination of causes and contributing factors. Examples include age, genetics, lifestyle, activity, diet, medical problems, medications, socioeconomic issues, pregnancy, lack of sleep, and more. It also directly affects the care you give your patient.
Risks for people who carry too much weight
It is established that if a patient is overweight they are more likely to develop health problems, including:
- Type 2 diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Metabolic syndrome
- Heart disease
- Breathing disorders
How can CoreLife assist you in your practice?
When PCPs identify overweight and obese individuals, CoreLife provides a trusted resource that previously did not exist. In addition, CoreLife identifies patients without a PCP or an undiagnosed condition that is then referred back to the PCP for further care and assessment. In this capacity, CoreLife acts as an additional touch-point for high risk patients and can help direct them back into the healthcare system for the care they need, often heading off a more serious diagnosis.
CoreLife has the focus, time, expertise and tools to treat obesity and its lifestyle and environmental factors; our care delivery system has shown to be more successful because we work in support of, rather than in lieu of, the partnering physicians to coordinate care and maximize patient outcomes.
- Working with the PCP as the central provider in the patient’s healthcare ecosystem
- Complementary to treatment by physicians, specialists and surgeons and is focused on coordinating care with you
- A community-based resource for BMI optimization & lifestyle modification
- A touch-point, mainly for high risk individuals
- Dedicated to spending the time, resources, and energy exclusively on weight
CoreLife is NOT:
- A primary care office
- A competitor to primary care
- Burdensome to the Physician in regards to time and focus
- Changing or altering existing medications
- Treating anything other than overweight and obesity issues
As a Primary Care Physician, you benefit from:
- A trusted resource for patients needing BMI optimization and lifestyle modification
- CoreLife identification of patients without a PCP
- Having more time to focus on high priority patient needs
- Improved community health
- Meeting population health initiatives and incentives
From a Professional
“I am a Family Nurse Practitioner at GBMC Hunt Valley who has referred numerous patients to CoreLife for their excellent weight loss services. My patients have had good results with their balanced and holistic approach. They offer weekly nutritional counseling, fitness facilities with instruction… and various healthy food alternatives. They seek to re-educate patients about health and nutrition so that they can make lifestyle changes that will continue for life. I have been impressed with their format and their results, and I do recommend their services. They bill insurance to keep the patient’s out-of-pocket expenses low, but their costs are affordable since one patient told me that the amount she paid monthly was “less than she had been spending on fast-food monthly” before she started their program. That patient, by the way, has lost about 65 pounds. They will also send consult notes to keep us primary care practitioners updated. I do dispense phentermine and other meds for weight loss and of course am willing to see patients for weight loss, but CoreLife’s weekly visit format and their facility seem to be less intimidating to patients than my medical office.”
– Eileen Beale, CRNP