Makes approximately 1 serving ⋅ Adapted from The American Heart Association
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- 3/4 lb. lean, ground turkey
- 1/2 medium onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes
- 1 clove fresh, minced garlic (or 1 teaspoon garlic minced from jar)
- 1 tsp. reduced-sodium Italian seasoning (lowest sodium available)
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (for spiciness), (optional)
- 8 oz. canned, no-salt-added tomato sauce
- While the rice is cooking, in skillet over medium heat, brown the turkey. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes more (until onion becomes translucent).
- Wash the bell peppers and remove the tops, seeds and membranes. Set peppers in a 9×9 baking dish or line them up in a loaf pan, so they stand upright.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix turkey, rice, tomato, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Spoon into each pepper. Spoon tomato sauce evenly over the top of the 4 peppers. Bake 1 hour in the oven, until peppers are tender.
Nutritional Information: For one Stuffed Pepper – Calories Per Serving: 252, Protein Per Serving: 26g, Fat 1.5g, Fiber: 6g