As the school bells chime and the backpacks are dusted off, it’s that time of year again – back to school! For parents and students alike, the return to the classroom comes with the daily challenge of preparing delicious and nutritious packed lunches. But fear not, because we’ve got you covered! In this blog post, we’re going to share four creative and satisfying packed lunch ideas that will not only fuel young minds but also tantalize taste buds. Say goodbye to the lunchtime monotony and hello to a school year filled with exciting, wholesome, and easy-to-make lunch options. Let’s dive in!
Grilled Chicken Broccoli Wraps
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 6 flour tortilla wraps 8-10 inches wide
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a shallow bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon of olive oil along with the oregano, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add chicken to the bowl and coat in the seasoning mixture.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Transfer the chicken to the skillet and cook until the juices run clear, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and allow it to cool, then slice each breast into strips.
- In a steamer set over boiling water, steam broccoli, covered, until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes.
- In the center of each tortilla wrap, spread the sour cream evenly, then add the chicken, broccoli and cheese. Bring the bottom edge of the wrap tightly over the filling, folding in the sides, then roll until you reach the top of the wrap.
- Add the wraps to a panini or the skillet used to cook the chicken with the seam side down, and press gently for about 3-4 minutes total, until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Feel Good Foodie
Homemade Uncrustable Sandwiches
- (2) Loaves of Bread
- (1) 19 oz Squeezable Smucker’s Natural Strawberry Spread
- (1) Jar of your favorite Peanut Butter (or Nut-Free alternative)
- Open the bread and lay down 24 slices (2 rows of 12 pieces of bread each).
- Spread 1 tbsp of peanut butter in the center of each slice of bread. Don’t go all the way to the edge since that will be cut off.
- Squeeze (or spread) 1 tbsp of jelly into the middle of half the slices of bread.
- Place the slices of bread together to form sandwiches. The peanut butter sides should face each other with the jelly in the middle.
- Center the Cut-N-Seal sandwich sealer on the top of each sandwich and press down. I recommend pressing down 3-4 times to make sure the sandwich is sealed well and to cut off the crust cleanly.
- At this point, they are ready to eat, or place them in a Ziplock bag to store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Adapted from Simply Well Balanced
Tuna Pasta Salad
- 1/2 lb whole grain pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans Wild Selections Solid White Albacore Tuna in Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and cook pasta per instructions
- While pasta is cooking, place the tomatoes, tuna and spices in a bowl.
- Once pasta is cooked, immediately drain + rinse with cold water to cool off
- Toss cooked pasta with spices, tuna + tomatoes
- Serve + enjoy!.
Adapted from The Clean Eating Couple
Homemade Spaghetti O’s
- 1 (12oz) Box Gluten-Free Anellini Pasta
- 1 (15oz) Can No-Salt Added Tomato Sauce
- ⅓ Cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy Milk
- ¼ Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- ½ Tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ Tsp Paprika
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to box directions, drain, and add back into the pot.
- Now add all other ingredients to the pot, with heat turned to low and mix well to combine.
- Serve warm or cold!
Adapted from Strength and Sunshine