Pesto is a great way to add a lot of flavor and variety to your meals. A traditional pesto typically has pine nuts, which can be an expensive ingredient. This recipe leaves out the pine nuts but doesn’t sacrifice on flavor!
Calories/Serving: 75 per tbsp
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- ¼ cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
- ¼ -½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or if your blender can mince it leave it whole
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper, but you can add more if you like
- Blend the ingredients in a food processor, starting first with the basil to mince it up.
- After mincing the basil, add garlic, cheese, salt & pepper and slowly add the olive oil which will help the pesto to emulsify and not separate.
- Blend together until smooth.
Watch CoreLife Registered Dietitian Nick make his famous homemade budget-friendly pesto sauce.