Makes approximately 14 servings • Adapted from The Mayo Clinic
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) of reduced-sodium chickpeas, rinsed and drained except for 1/4 cup of liquid
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)*
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
*Note: If you need to follow a gluten-free diet, check the label to make sure the brand of tahini is gluten-free.
- Using a blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, paprika, tahini, and parsley. Blend well.
- Add the reserved liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture has the consistency of a thick spread.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional Facts: Serving Size: 3/4 cup – Calories per serving: 88, Protein 4g, Carbohydrate 9g, Fat 4g